On Dec. 6, 1964, the animated TV special Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer first graced television sets across the country.This holiday season the brand is celebrating its 50th with a number of activation’s both on and off the TV screen.
The 50th anniversary telecast of the longest-running holiday special in TV history will air Tuesday on CBS.
Among the the Rudolph golden anniversary initiatives are:
- “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical”–the touring production is making 21 stops across the U.S. from Nov. 25 to Dec. 26, and local productions are being presented in cities nationwide.
- Limited edition Forever stamps from USPS–featuring still frames of the characters from the TV special, the stamps are on sale now. See them here.
- Destination Rudolph nights at select shopping malls–General Growth Properties is featuring Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and his friends in a family program at participating malls and online. Consumers can also visit Santa at the mall and receive a complimentary soft cover copy of The Legend of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeeror attend Shining Bright on Wednesday Nights where featured retailers hosting special events.
- Theme park features–Rudolph and Friends are being featured at various Herschend Family Entertainment properties including Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, Stone Mountain Park and Adventure Aquarium. The parks feature holiday displays and festive décor using the environments from the special and guests can meet and take photos with Rudolph and his friends.
- “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in Concert” at Carnegie Hall–on Dec. 21, the Carnegie Hall Family Holiday Concert series will present the New York Pops celebrating the 50th anniversary.
- 50th anniversary collectors’ products–among the products available are a 50th anniversary DVD, a new graphic novel entitled Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Island of Misfit Toys, a Silver and Gold anniversary home décor line and exclusive product lines at select retailers. For information visit RudolphProduct.com.