Rainbow Loom from Choon’s Design LLC Grabs Coveted “Toy of the Year” Title and Three Category Awards; GoldieBlox™ and the Spinning Machine from GoldieBlox™, Inc. Bestowed “People’s Choice” Honor
Hundreds of toy executives and industry guests from around the world gathered in New York City tonight to honor the year’s finest toys and industry luminaries at the 14th Annual Toy of the Year (TOTY) Awards and Toy Industry Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
A TIA-administered event in support of the philanthropic work of the Toy Industry Foundation (TIF), the “Oscars” of the toy industry took place at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, kicking off the 111th American International Toy Fair.
Rainbow Loom – the hot-selling arts & crafts toy from Choon’s Design LLC – was the runaway success of the evening, taking home the overall “Toy of the Year” award and prizes in three additional categories. Social media and Super Bowl ad sensation GoldieBlox™ and the Spinning Machine (GoldieBlox™, Inc.) snagged the admirable “People’s Choice” award for pulling in the most online votes from consumers and was also awarded a prize in one additional category. [SEE FULL LIST OF CATEGORY WINNERS BELOW]
“This year’s top TOTY winners are outstanding examples of the magical and creative playthings that originate from innovative toy companies of all sizes,” said Carter Keithley, TIA President. “We congratulate Choon’s Design, Goldieblox, and the winners across all 12 categories – from e-Connected to Outdoor – for their wonderful achievements!”
Interspersed with the awards presentation was a special tribute to the Toy Industry Foundation, which gifted more than three million toys and games to children in need worldwide in 2013 alone. The event also welcomed the induction of five individuals into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame: Jill Barad, Former Chairman and CEO, Mattel; Horst Brandstatter, President and Sole Owner, PLAYMOBIL/geobra Brandstatter GmbH & Co. KG; Jack Friedman, Former Chairman, CEO and Co-founder, JAKKS Pacific; and Arthur “Spud” Melin & Richard Knerr, Co-Founders of Wham-O Toy. These new inductees join a distinguished roster of dozens of luminaries who have been inducted into the Hall since its establishment in 1985.
TOTY Award winners were selected with the input of consumers (on ToyAwards.org), retailers (mass and specialty), media and members of the toy industry. The five ballots were weighted and used to determine the category winners, with the exception of the “People’s Choice” award, which was selected exclusively by consumers.
And the winners are…
- Activity Toy of the Year – Rainbow Loom (Choon’s Design LLC)
- Boy Toy of the Year – Despicable Me 2™ Special Feature Minion Dave Talking Action Figure (Thinkway Toys©)
- e-Connected Toy of the Year – LeapPad Ultra™ (LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc.)
- Educational Toy of the Year – GoldieBlox™ and the Spinning Machine (GoldieBlox™, Inc.)
- Game of the Year – Boom Boom Balloon™ (Spin Master Ltd.)
- Girl Toy of the Year – Rainbow Loom(Choon’s Design LLC)
- Infant/Toddler Toy of the Year – Big Hugs Elmo (Playskool)
- Innovative Toy of the Year – Zoomer(Spin Master Ltd.)
- Outdoor Toy of the Year – Razor® Crazy Cart™ (Razor USA LLC)
- Preschool Toy of the Year – Doc McStuffins Get Better Check-Up Center (Just Play)
- Property of the Year – Minecraft™ (Mojang AB)
- Specialty Toy of the Year – Rainbow Loom (Choon’s Design LLC)